- 2.1 L (126 cu in) Renault J8S I4 (turbocharged diesel)
- 2.5 L (150 cu in) AMC I4 (gasoline)
- 2.5 L (153 cu in) VM Motori 425 OHV I4 (turbocharged diesel)
- 2.8 L (173 cu in) GM LR2 V6 (gasoline)
- 4.0 L (242 cu in) AMC I6 (gasoline)
- 4.0 L (242 cu in) AMC H.O. I6 (gasoline)
- 4.0 L (242 cu in) PowerTech I6 (gasoline)
- 4-speed Aisin AX-4 manual
- 5-speed Aisin AX-5 manual
- 5-speed Peugeot BA-10/5 manual
- 5-speed Aisin AX-15 manual
- 5-speed NVG NV3550 manual
- 3-speed Chrysler A904 automatic
- 3-speed 30RH automatic
- 4-speed Aisin AW-4 automatic
- 1984–1987: New Process NP207 Command-Trac, part-time only, 2.61:1 ratio with low range
- 1984–1986: New Process NP228/229 Selec-Trac, full- or part-time, 2.61:1 ratio with low range
- NP228/229 has a vacuum switch for 2WD-4WD selection on the fly and a separate manual lever for low range
- 1987–2001: New Process NP231 Command-Trac, part-time only, 2.72:1 ratio with low range
- NP231 has the following settings: 2HI, 4HI, N, 4LO
- 1987–2001: New Process NP242 Selec-Trac, full-time or part-time, 2.72:1 ratio with low range
- NP242 has the following settings: 2HI, 4 full-time, 4 part-time, N, 4LO
- 1984–1996: Dana 30, high pinion, reverse cut, 27-spline axleshafts (1989 – 1995 : with ABS used 5-297x universal joints, non-ABS had 5-260x universal joints. NP228/229 "Selec-Trac" equipped XJ models were also produced with constant-velocity joints instead of universal joints.)
- 1996–1999: Dana 30, high pinion, reverse cut, 297x/760 universal joint, 27-spline axleshafts
- 2000–2001: Dana 30, low pinion, standard cut, 297x/760 universal joint, 27-spline axleshafts
- 1985–2001: straight non-driven front axle for two-wheel drive only
- 1984–1989: Dana 35, non c-clip, with anti-lock braking system (ABS) or non-ABS; dana 44 on some models
- 1987–1991: Dana 44, models w/tow package only, 30-spline axleshafts, non-ABS
- 1990–1996: Dana 35, c-clip, ABS or non-ABS
- 1997–2001: Dana 35, c-clip, ABS
- 1991–1996: Chrysler 8.25", c-clip, non-ABS, 27-spline axleshafts
- Late 1996–2001: Chrysler 8.25", c-clip, non-ABS, 29-spline axleshafts
- Jeep Cherokee (XJ) is a compact SUV that was manufactured and marketed by Jeep from 1984 to 2001.
- Square Headlights.
- Designs of the compact-size XJ Cherokee date back to 1978 when a team of American Motors (AMC) and Renault engineers drew several sketches.
- The Jeep XJ utilizes a coil spring front suspension with a leaf spring rear suspension.
- Wheelbase 101.4 in (2,576 mm).
- Body style: 2-door SUV or 4-door SUV.
- The interior was similarly updated with an all-new design and instrument panel featuring the first blow molded symmetrical instrument panel retainer structure.
- The XJ was introduced to left-hand drive European markets in 1985, one year after its American debut.
- American Motors established the first automobile manufacturing joint venture in the People's Republic of China to assemble the four-door Cherokee.
- Layout: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive / Four-wheel drive.
- 1984–2001 (USA)
- 1984–2005 (China)
- 1987–2001 (Venezuela)
- 1996–2000 (Argentina)
- 1992–1997 (Egypt)